Saturday, August 16, 2014

No Diapers, No Highchairs, Holy cow….. Pop goes Em

Hello Karlie blog followers. I hope all of you have been having an amazing summer. I know I am not the person who is usually writing so again welcome from the ghost writer Ken. Karlie’s other half (I will not say better half as she is raising our three unbelievable children- Hey I am their dad/husband so please give me a little room to boast.)  I wanted to jump in as the summer has flown by quicker than spring did. What happened to time slowing down?  Can someone tell Father Time to wind down the watch a bit please?

Ultimately that is what my post is about: Just when you think you are catching up you realize how fast things are going by.

Year one Tired Parents two days after coming back - Excited Kids
Last month we had a few big changes going on in the House of the “Tripl-lets” (as my sister’s kids like to call Em ,Nola, and Attie). We started down the crazy train of potty training and eating at a table. Let me tell you every blog is right about potty training. When you read what it’s going to be like during and right after Potty training – why they hell would any sane man or woman do it.  Constantly asking when the three of them are going to poop or pee, cleaning endless underwear, rolling up rugs ( yep really) and the best…… carrying around a port-o-john with you everywhere.

Seriously, we thought about giving up multiple times – 2nd day in became shot day after the kids went to bed. We contemplated -- was it so bad to see them graduate with adult diapers? Maybe there were advantages -- never having to leave a concert to go the bathroom and adult diapers are great for long road trips. You can see the imagination was working. Lucky for us, on the 3 day the clouds broke and Attie and Nola were going on the potty. The next week we went a whole week with just 2 accidents.

Meghan (our savior and nanny - whom we couldn’t rave about more) came in like a savant baby whisperer and with the help of Karlie got them all on track.  Today I can say that we are no longer buying diapers. OK, not big for people who don’t have kids – but with triplets – we were elated to see those expensive cases of diapers become a thing of the past.  Yes, our laundry has increased quite a bit to compensate – but we will take a small victory lap.

We have occasional flare-ups, and hey every once in while a kid gets stuck in a potty- yeah it happens when you’re in a restaurant ( Ray’s in Rye, N.H.- almost had a full-time meltdown as  Em fell in and got stuck in the toilet for a few minutes. I was freaking out- pacing like a mad man. We were both about to start crying before I gathered myself and found some calm. Surprisingly, I told him to hold his breath and like two new teammates in the potty marathon- we worked together to pop him out. (He was out and I was happy and did not care how many wipes I had to use to clean him up.)
Home Of Em's De-corking

The following week we got rid of the high chairs and our new kitchen seems wider, but at the same time melancholy that the highchairs are gone. Maybe it is just me, wondering where my little babies have already gone.  Like the new Mohawk we gave Attie,
we are off to new adventures, but I will miss the diapers and highchair days a bit. Father time can you slow down a bit…. maybe just a little.





On a different note- we lost my aunt Gerry last month. She was a wonderful woman, who was there for every birthday and every celebration growing up. One of those people in our lives that provides the glue that keeps us all moving forward. She was a big fan of the Triplets and we will miss her greatly. Gerry I hope you are beating  Pop and Will in Cards up there. We miss you.

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me, 
    and I am completely satisfied with your website. 
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….


    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, writer of the blog, Ethiopian Tripletland, hasn't posted since 2012, but her blog is still online and makes for good reading. Her boys were adopted at age five months and are now eight. Good times.

    ReplyDelete