Monday, March 24, 2014

Under Construction



It  has been ages since I updated this blog – AGES! It most definitely had something to do with this never-ending winter (I love winter – but c’mon this one was a real pain in the ass)  and the fact that our house has been undergoing renovations since the beginning of November – roughly 5 months – but it feels more like a 100.

It’s exhausting having different people in and out of your house on a daily basis. It’s like Grand Central – and I just want to it to be over.

The good news is – we finally have the kitchen we always wanted and an almost finished hangout for the adults, which is a den/library space.

But with three toddlers running around – let’s be honest – there’s no such thing as a totally adult space in this house.

And speaking of those little sweet peas… they are getting HUGE! In the last few months they shed any baby fat they had left – and are now lean and mean little machines.  The chatting is non-stop. They all have full sentences now and love to put each other in time out.

“You, time out, 2 minutes, OK!”

That’s a favorite quote from my Attie. He’s my force to be reckoned with. His latest obsessions include brushing his teeth, flicking the lights on and off and closing and opening all doors everywhere we go. Of course when he does open a door he likes to close it real fast and bolt. He’s constantly keeping us on our toes.

Nola Grace and Em are definitely a little tamer – although they too have their little obsessions. Brushing their teeth is right up there as well (I’m sure the bubblegum toothpaste has something to do with it!) --- And she’s just starting to pick out what she wants to wear. I hear a lot of “No Mommy” when I try to dress in her in something she doesn’t approve of. I can imagine it will only get worse from here.

Emmie has been working hard at being a true gentleman. Says a lot of please and thank you’s and you’re welcomes. The other two do as well… but Em has got it down pat. As polite as he is, my big man definitely has a little temper, which is what gets him sent to “time out” more than anything else.

Other highlights and low-lights from the past few months:
  • Calling poison control after Nola Grace climbed out of her pack n’ play during nap time and tore through our bathroom. She unearthed some old bottle of aspirin that had a crack in the bottom. (We had no idea it was in there). I literally almost had a heart attack when I saw white pills on the floor.  Fortunately, she he didn’t take any – and much as it scared the S*** out of me – it was a good lesson learned: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE WHAT A TODDLER CAN FIND OR CLIMB!
  • The three of them constantly scheming and working together to get what they want – mostly to escape from their room! It’s such a bummer when they learn how to climb out of their cribs.
  • Mommy-and-Me class will be no more after Wednesday. The three amigos start a “kids only” class the first week in April. That means pre-school is on the radar for the fall.  I can’t believe it – what happened to my toothless, pudgy little babies!
  • They love to dance and hold hands while singing the theme song to Barney. Yes, they go crazy over that (sometimes annoying) big purple dinosaur.  It’s the sweetest sight to see them all hugging.
  • They’re obsession over apple juice has hit a new high. I think I should start investing in the Honest Kids Juice line.
  • I should also start investing in Maderma Scar Gel because Attie has dings all over his forehead and nose from being such a wild man! ( see photo below)
  • Watching each of them develop into such unique individuals. Yes, they’re all distinctly different– yet there’s no denying the truly amazing connection they share. It’s gotta be that “multiple” thing!                 
And as exhausting as motherhood can be at times - I’m just happy to have a front row seat to the show!

P.S.
Speaking of obsessions – this is my latest: The Madsen Bucket Bike. I need to save my pennies (a lot of them) for this sweet ride!

That bucket has seating for 4 kiddos. I need one!



Attie's latest boo boo after climbing on our new metal stools.


A taste of spring - and our crazy dog Blue!




And here's the new kitchen. Finally!



















No comments:

Post a Comment