Monday, March 5, 2012

Taking a Leap of Faith



A lot has happened in the past month. First off, we were almost matched with a baby boy in Massachusetts. Our agency called us out of the blue to ask us if were Catholic. I thought to myself: “Please, after all of those CCD classes – that I dreaded – and confirmations and going to church every Sunday with our parents … yes, I answered, we are definitely Catholic!”

After straightening that out, they wanted to know if we were open to sending our profile to this birth mom in Mass., and I said, yeah, why not. We have nothing to lose. I am all about NO EXPECTATIONS these days. So why not send it off.

Well, we did and it turned out that the birth mom chose us. There was just one hitch: There were two potential birth fathers. One had signed off on the adoption while the other one wanted to parent. Enter the DNA test.

Well, after waiting six grueling days to find out if he was the father, it turns out – that yes, he was.  I am telling you. We have S*** luck.

Yes. Another disappointment – but in the spirit of moving on, we quickly printed out more profiles – a.k.a a 20 page essay of our lives – and sent them off to an agency in Florida who works with our agency in Massachusetts. Apparently, this agency is in great need of families who are open to adopting African American and Bi-racial babies. SIGN US UP!

And that’s where we stand right now.  Again, I am trying not to have any expectations, but deep down, I have a good feeling.

In the meantime, I am taking off for the postage-stamp-sized town of Marfa, Texas at the end of this month for a 2-week documentary workshop. I am super excited, but a little anxious, since I am embarking on this journey without any of my peeps. But, hey, that’s what life is all about right – going outside of your comfort zone and taking a leap of faith.

I think that pretty much sums up adoption as well – don’t you?

3 comments:

  1. Umm ok you don't have the "best" luck.. so far. ;-)

    Hang in there. It sounds like you have some additional options, AND the referrals are starting to seem more frequent with WHFC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that situation didn't work out - how incredibly stressed out you must have been while waiting, and how disappointed when it fell through. Sigh. Good luck with the new agency, though. I've heard good things about Florida and Texas for families who are open to adopting AA or biracial children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope at least the documentary workshop goes well. That should be an amazing learning process and diversion from all this adoption craziness. Looking forward to hearing how that project shapes up and helping you when you get to that point. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete